Below is a summary of what was discussed at the BOMA/Chicago Preparedness Committee meeting on July 21st, 2020. The meeting was held via teleconference and included a wide range of attendees, with members of the Chicago Police Department, Chicago Fire Department, Department of Homeland Security, and other government agencies.
- Farzin Parang was introduced as the new Executive Director of BOMA/Chicago, replacing the retiring Michael Conrnicelli. Farzin is a former attorney, former Mayor’s Office employee, and will be the highest-ranking staff employee at BOMA/Chicago. He will be responsible for Board meetings, government outreach, etc.
- Tom Henkey provided an update, which included a recap of the late May and early June protests and civil unrest, noted lull in recent weeks, and escalation last weekend to include anarchist leaning Black Bloc protesters targeting police.
- BOMA/Chicago is monitoring the changing requirements/restrictions. This includes the pending restriction limits on gyms, bars, etc. similar to Phase 3 status.
- The commercial building sector remains essentially unchanged by these adjustments.
The Chicago Police Department (CPD) Update:
- 1st District:
- Tony Ciaravino provided an update, which included a recap of the civil unrest near Columbus statue in Grant Park.
- Upcoming protests are planned.
- There has been an increase in illegal guns recovered in the 1st District.
- Overall violent crime is down over 2019.
- 12th District
- Mike Karczewski provided an update, which included a recap of the ongoing protest activity in the 12th District and two recent violent crimes.
- The recent civil unrest has the potential to drain CPD resources from outer districts.
- 18th District:
- A new Sergeant is replacing Amanda Vanek.
- The 18th District has been monitoring ongoing protests.
- The recent demonstrations and property damage have resulted in 1,500 arrests related to civil unrest and 780 for looting citywide.
The Chicago Fire Department (CFD) Update:
- Fire drills are still required for Category 1 and 2 buildings, and recommended for Category 3 and 4 buildings.
- “Virtual” drills do not meet the ordinance requirement; it is recommended going floor-by-floor for drills, and going to emergency doors but not entering the stairwells.
- Fire Safety Director (FSD) certification and recertification is ongoing using social-distancing safeguards.
- Protests: Expected to by a busy weekend with multiple protests planned/scheduled; note that spontaneous or non-permitted demonstrations are becoming frequent.
Below is the current list:
- July 22nd at 8:30 am, 42 W Madison to 1443 N Ogden (Noble Academy/CICS ChicagoQuest). The group will gather for their cause “Chicago Teachers Union March: #CTUSafeReturn.”
- July 24th at 12:00 pm, 230 South Dearborn. The group will gather for their cause “Protest for Extension of Federal Benefits.” July 24th at 1:00 pm, S Morgan/W Roosevelt to 1400 W Jackson (CPD Academy). The group will gather for their cause “Elijah McClain Car Caravan & Protest.”
- July 24th at 6:00 pm, W 18th / S Paulina. The group will gather for their cause “No ICE Citizens Academy”
- July 25th at 2:00 pm, E Roosevelt/S Columbus (Columbus Statue). The group will gather for their cause “Back the Blue.” – counter-protesters expected
- July 25th at 4:00 pm, 500 S Columbus (Buckingham Fountain). The group will gather for their cause “Call to Abolish ICE: ICE protest.”
- July 25th at 5:00 pm, 500 S Columbus (Buckingham Fountain). The group will gather for their case “Black Lives Matter Rally & March: Demand Defund 12 Now!”
- July 31st at 10:00 am, N State/Lake. The group will gather for their cause “Paint Black Lives Matter Mural.”
- July 31st at 5:00 pm, E Roosevelt/S Columbus (Columbus Statue). The group will gather for their cause “No Racist Symbols March & Rally.”
- July 31st at 6:00 pm, 1901 W Madison (United Center). The group will gather for their cause “Native Americans are Not Your Mascots: Chicago Blackhawks.”
- August 1 at 9:00 am, 711 West Monroe (Old St. Patricks) to W Washington / N Paulina. The group will gather for their cause “Black Lives Matter March”
- August 1st at 5:00 pm, 1412 W Washington (Fraternal Order of Police). The group will gather for their cause “Press Conference and Rally to Demand Dismantle and Defund CPD.”
- August 1st at 7:00 pm, 201 E Randolph (Millennium Park). The group will gather for their cause “Solidarity Street: Abolish CPD Block Party.”
- The August 18th monthly BOMA/Chicago Preparedness Committee meeting may be via teleconference or in-person depending on the situation and social distancing guidelines from public-health organizations.
As always, if you “See Something, Say Something”. For life-threatening emergencies, call 911. To report suspicious activity, call 855-RPRT-2-S4 (855-777-8274).