On Wednesday, April 3, 2013, Alderman Brendan Reilly participated in a town hall meeting hosted by the Streeterville Organization of Active Residents (“SOAR”). Titan attended the town hall meeting. The following are key points that were mentioned at the meeting. They include:
In response to public safety,
- Alderman Reilly was assured by Police Superintendent Gary McCarthy the CPD levels on Michigan Avenue and the Lakefront Path would be noticeably increased for Friday afternoon and throughout the weekend
- CPD presence would also continue to increase throughout the summer months, including Memorial Day weekend
- The increase in CPD would include mounted, bicycle, tactical, and foot patrol officers
- POD cameras will be actively monitored by personnel 24/7
- Enhanced details will be assigned to CTA including undercover officers
In response to supplemental policing plan,
- Alderman Reilly has proposed a plan to create non-profit organizations to raise money for increased police man hours
- These non-profits would collect and donate the money to CPD in order to add off-duty uniformed CPD officers at overtime to patrol different areas of the city
- CPD would determine how to use the donated funds
- If the plan is accepted, it could roll out in two months
Please remind your tenants and residents to be vigilant and follow basic safety guidelines, below please find some basic safety tips:
- If you see something suspicious, report it.
- Lock your doors.
- Be aware of who is around you.
- Always conceal valuables.
- Take well-traveled, well-lit routes. Don’t use shortcuts through alleys or walkways between buildings.
- Do not prop open doors.
- Be wary of solicitors or suspicious persons. “May I help you?” will often be sufficient to deter a potential intruder. Thieves do not want to be confronted or identified.
- Following your own instincts is crucial.