The striking Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) is in day 10 of a work stoppage and will be engaging in various demonstration activity on Wednesday, October 30.
A large demonstration and march is expected at 12:00 pm at Roosevelt and Clark.
Preliminary information indicates that the following activities are planned for today related to the CTU strike:
- School Pickets Citywide; 6:30 am to 10:30am
- SW Schools Community March (6700 S. Kedzie); 10:30 am
- Little Village March at Enlace Chicago (2600 S Kostner) 9:00 am
- Large Rally and March at Roosevelt and Clark; 12:00 pm
Consider the following when preparing for civil unrest or protest activity:
- Set, review and practice emergency lockdown procedures
- If a demonstration forms outside your building be prepared to quickly lockdown the building, only allowing access to tenants
- Establish a system or process to notify tenants of protest or building lockdown activity
- Program your access control system to lock all exterior doors upon demand
- Practice lockdown procedures including securing the perimeter with security officers or building staff and designating a point of ingress away from the demonstration for tenants to use
- Establish communication with local law enforcement
- If protests are violent or taking place on private property contact law enforcement immediately
- Maintain regular communication with law enforcement throughout the incident
- Remain peaceful and calm, do not provoke or become violent, attempt to defuse and resolve the situation
As always, if you “See Something, Say Something”. For life-threatening emergencies, call 911. To report suspicious activity, call 855-RPRT-2-S4 (855-777-8274).