The striking Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) are Circling City Hall. The following street closures are in effect around City Hall: LaSalle between Lake & Washington, Washington from LaSalle to Dearborn, Randolph from Dearborn to LaSalle, Clark from Lake to Washington.
A large rally is expected to begin at the conclusion of the Mayor’s Budget address at approximately 11:00 am. This rally is expected to take place at the Thompson Center but due to the size is likely to also impact the area around City Hall and Daley Plaza.
Continued activity should be expected around City Hall and numerous other locations in the downtown area. Street closures should be expected.
This specific protest activity is related to the current Chicago Public Schools strike. Please notify your building teams and be on alert as this protest is taking place.
Consider the following when preparing for civil unrest or protest activity:
- Set, review and practice emergency lockdown procedures
- If a demonstration forms outside your building be prepared to quickly lockdown the building, only allowing access to tenants
- Establish a system or process to notify tenants of protest or building lockdown activity
- Program your access control system to lock all exterior doors upon demand
- Practice lockdown procedures including securing the perimeter with security officers or building staff and designating a point of ingress away from the demonstration for tenants to use
- Establish communication with local law enforcement
- If protests are violent or taking place on private property contact law enforcement immediately
- Maintain regular communication with law enforcement throughout the incident
- Remain peaceful and calm, do not provoke or become violent, attempt to defuse and resolve the situation
As always, if you “See Something, Say Something”. For life-threatening emergencies, call 911. To report suspicious activity, call 855-RPRT-2-S4 (855-777-8274).