Protest and demonstrations are common in Chicago, most are publicized allowing security staff and law enforcement to assess in advance how and if they should prepare. This week, the Extinction Rebellion Chicago is holding a protest on October 18th from 3:00 – 7:00 pm at Heritage Green Park, 610 West Adams St, Chicago IL 60661.
This specific protest activity is related to climate change and the group will assemble for their campaign “Sound The Alarm: International Rebellion Finale”. Please notify your building teams and be on alert as this protest is taking place.
Consider the following when preparing for civil unrest or protest activity:
- Set, review and practice emergency lockdown
- If a demonstration forms outside your building be prepared to quickly lockdown the building, only allowing access to tenants
- Establish a system or process to notify tenants of protest or building lockdown activity
- Program your access control system to lock all exterior doors upon demand
- Practice lockdown procedures including securing the perimeter with security officers or building staff and designating a point of ingress away from the demonstration for tenants to use
- Establish communication with local law
- If protests are violent or taking place on private property contact law enforcement immediately
- Maintain regular communication with law enforcement throughout the incident
- Remain peaceful and calm, do not provoke or become violent, attempt to defuse and resolve the situation
As always, if you “See Something, Say Something”. For life-threatening emergencies, call 911. To report suspicious activity, call 855-RPRT-2-S4 (855-777-8274).