Below is a summary of what was discussed at the BOMA/Chicago Preparedness Committee Meeting on April 21, 2020. The meeting was hosted by Ron Tabaczynski (BOMA) and Erin Parks (Sterling Bay, Committee Chair) and held by conference call to discuss issues related to the current COVID-19 pandemic and included a wide range of attendees, with members of the Chicago Police Department, Chicago Fire Department, Department of Homeland Security, and other government agencies.
The Chicago Police Department (CPD) Update:
- 1st District: crime has been down recently with some calls to disperse groups.
- 12th District: a new business liaison sergeant was named to the 12th District.
- Area Central: a transition from three areas to five is underway.
The Chicago Fire Department (CFD) Update:
- The overall amount of calls has been down with disinfection and mask use underway.
- All drills are postponed for the time being.
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Update:
- “Essential Employee” guidance is ongoing.
- Chicago temporarily operating with one Protective Security Advisor.
- BOMA/Chicago participants are anticipating a gradual repopulation of commercial buildings.
- Social distancing is still a concern in common areas (i.e., elevators).
- Some member participants are sending e-questionnaires to tenants to gather expectations.
- BOMA/Chicago will continue to provide feedback and input as occupancy increases.
- Multi-agency McCormick Place is being used as an alternate care site and is up and running.
- The FBI issued a new alert regarding an extremist threat at medical facilities.
- The May monthly committee meeting may be via teleconference or in-person depending on the situation and social distancing guidelines from public-health organizations.
- Centers for Disease Control: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus
- IDPH: www.dph.illinois.gov
- CDPH: www.chicago.gov/coronavirus
- DHS: www.dhs.gov
As always, if you “See Something, Say Something”. For life-threatening emergencies, call 911. To report suspicious activity, call 855-RPRT-2-S4 (855-777-8274).