Active Shooter Preparedness in the Workplace
When an active shooter situation occurs within the workplace, it is extremely challenging for everyone involved. In the event of an active shooter, employees may experience physical and emotional damage that can last for a long period of time. To help companies better understand the dangers of an active shooter, and to help them prepare for a life threatening situation, Titan wanted to pass along the following information.
Steps to take to prepare for an Active Shooter:
- Companies should create a plan of action to set forth for the tragic event of an active shooter.
- This plan should be thoroughly communicated with each employee through writing and in-person during a company wide meeting.
- Going over this plan at least once a year, or every 6 months, will help employees understand the severity of an active shooter situation and keep them prepared in case it ever occurs in their company.
- The plan should include a step-by-step process of what to do during the crisis (where to go, where to escape/hide, etc.) and what to do afterwards.
- It is also helpful to have an escape plan set in place, so that unharmed employees know the closest exits, and if possible, can flee the scene and alert the authorities.
- When faced with an active shooter situation, it is necessary for leadership of the company to be prepared to answer questions and provide employees with directions.
*The link below contains a video of a commonly practiced approach on how to handle an active shooter situation. It includes 3 different plans of action for victims of an active shooter situation to choose from, dependent on what they deem safest at the time of the crisis: Run, Fight, Hide*
- After the crisis, it is likely that the company will not be able to operate for a couple weeks, or in some cases, even a couple months.
- Companies should designate an off-site location for employees to meet and discuss business operations.
- Upon hearing about the incident, the media will want to report the event, sharing the tragedy with the public.
- Leadership of the company should have questions and answers pre-planned to use as a guideline for speaking with the media.
- This will show that the company was crisis-prepared and eliminate any discrepancies the public may have about the event.
- Given that the media is a direct source to the public, it is important for leadership or employees of the company to get to the media, before someone else gets to them.
- Faulty information about the crisis could be communicated by those outside of the company, and information about the crisis should be reported accurately to the public.
- Social media outlets should also be used to communicate with the public about event.
- Companies should create a report after the crisis to discuss the events that occurred.
- This will allow for a better understanding of the events that took place for those employees that were not involved.
- It will also help to better prepare for the crisis in the future.
Overall, a company exposed to an active shooter situation is inevitably going to face challenges, but using the steps listed above, the affected company will be more prepared for the occurrence of an active shooter, as well as the steps to after the occurrence.