Chicago rings in 2020 with New Year’s Eve Fireworks along the Chicago Riverwalk and Lakefront at 12:00 midnight. Expect riverfront and street closures, increased traffic, CTA reroutes and additional security. Below is information on fireworks, street closures, and safety tips for you to consider.
At midnight there will be a 15 minute fireworks display.
At midnight there will be a 5-8 minute fireworks display along the riverfront. Below are closures for the Chicago Riverwalk.
From 5:00 pm until 1:30 am
- Sidewalks will be closed at:
- East side of LaSalle Street Bridge
- East side of Clark Street Bridge
- East side of Dearborn Street Bridge
- East side of State Street Bridge
- West side of Franklin/Orleans Street Bridge
- Curb lane and sidewalk will be closed on eastbound E. Wacker Drive between 111 E. Wacker Drive and Stetson Avenue
At 8:00 pm
- Closing of the Riverwalk to pedestrians (normal closing time)
From 11:45 pm – 12:15 am
- Full closures of bridges for fireworks launch
For more information on the city’s New Year’s Eve festivities, click here
- If you see something suspicious, report it
- Carry water and stay hydrated
- Choose a landmark to meet at in case you are separated from your group
- Utilize the buddy system
- Remain alert and be observant of surroundings
- Leave any valuables at home
- Do not jump any barricades
- Secure handbags and wallets
- Stay calm
- Follow your instincts
- Leave yourself room to move quickly
- If you see an unattended bag, alert police as quickly as possible
As always, if you “See Something, Say Something”. For life-threatening emergencies, call 911. To report suspicious activity, call 855-RPRT-2-S4 (855-777-8274).