The following is a summary of the information presented at the BOMA/Chicago Open Security Committee meeting on Tuesday, September 20th regarding the NATO /G8 summits. This meeting included a presentation from Gary Schenkel, Executive Director of Chicago’s Office of Emergency Management (OEMC), where he discussed preparations for the NATO /G8 summits. Some of the key points that were shared at this meeting included:
- The NATO/ G8 summits are scheduled to occur around May 20, 2012. Preparations should be made from approximately May 16 – May 23, 2012. The exact location and dates of the NATO /G8 summits will be announced about 3 months prior to the dates.
- Properties should not only plan for additional security during this time period but also for additional engineering and cleaning.
- Buildings in the downtown area should be prepared for protest groups and protesters outside their properties but also for these groups and individuals to try and enter the buildings.
- The most affected areas of Chicago will be in the downtown area ranging from McCormick Place to the Gold Coast.
- Throughout the duration of the NATO/G8 summits, employers should consider “work from home” opportunities for employees.
Properties in the downtown area should start planning for the NATO / G8 summits now. In the SecureChicago.com library is the BOMA NATO/G-8 Workplan that was provided by the BOMA/Chicago Security Committee. This is a high-level tool that can be used as a basis for planning and preparing for the upcoming events.
Feel free to reach out to Titan representatives to answer any questions you may have regarding the NATO/ G8 summits and how to plan for them. We will continue to share information as we are made aware.