Downtown Chicago is a wonderful and exciting place to live, work, and visit. Whether you commute daily for work, visit for cultural events, music fests, street festivals or actually live in the downtown area, you are to likely agree that the city offers something for everyone. However, the downtown area can also create an environment that fosters crime. While most people are honest and hardworking, some may be criminals just looking for the next victim. The following are a few tips to help keep yourself from becoming the next victim of urban crime:
Safety on the Streets:
- If possible, try to visit ATMs during the day or when there are other people in the area. ATMs are an attractive area for potential pick-pockets and thieves.
- Don’t give the appearance of a victim. Stand straight, walk confidentially, avoid staring at the ground and pay attention to what’s around you. Pick-pockets generally look for people who are not paying attention to their surroundings.
- Avoid displaying your wealth. Try to hide expensive jewelry by tucking it into your clothing and don’t pull out large amounts of cash or a full wallet when making purchases.
- While deciding to fight with an attacker is an individual decision, most experts would encourage you to give in to an attacker with a weapon. Money and material possessions are replaceable, but not you!
Safety in a Restaurant/Bar:
- Look for the location of ALL exits in the area. If a fire or threat occurs, you will want to be aware of the quickest escape route. Most injuries occur because people crowd the main door trying to exit during an emergency situation.
- Never leave your phone, wallet, or anything of value on a table or bar counter.
- If possible, avoid carrying your wallet in your back pocket.
- Carry your handbag or purse close to your body with the clasp or flap toward you.
- Avoid arguments or fights. If you think that someone may get injured, notify security.
SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING
For life-threatening emergencies, call 911. To report suspicious activity, call 855-RPRT-2-S4 (855-777-8274)