With St. Patrick’s Day this weekend, we hope that everyone celebrates safely. Remember these tips to have a safe celebration.
- Don’t bring valuables with you to your celebration
- Be aware of your surroundings and locate where you can go for help if necessary
- If you plan on drinking, do not drive
- Be extra cautious on the roads if you are driving this weekend
Also, CPD has issued the following regarding road closures due to the St. Patrick’s Day parade.
Event Type(s): Saint Patrick’s Day Downtown Parade and Dyeing of the Chicago River
Date(s): Saturday, March 16, 2013
Time: 0730hrs-Parade assembly begins, Dyeing of River at 1000hrs, Parade Step Off at Noon
Locations: Columbus Drive (Parade), Wacker Drive (Dyeing River), Central Business District (Affected)
On Saturday, March 16th, the annual St. Patrick’s Day Downtown Parade will take place in the Central Business District. With that, thousands of citizens will descend upon Columbus Drive and the Downtown area to take part in this festive day. Columbus Drive will be affected dramatically as it is the parade route.
Dyeing of the River
Saturday, March 16th at 1000hrs
- Tens of thousands of spectators typically view this from the bridge at Columbus, or at upper/lower Wacker Driver between Columbus and Lake Shore Drive and the Southbank of the Riverwalk
Saturday, March 16th at Noon (step off)
- Approximately 0730hrs-Parade assembly begins on Columbus Drive from Roosevelt to Balbo
- Approximately 1000hrs-Columbus Drive from Balbo to Randolph will be closed for the duration of the parade/clean up
- In such, the following streets will be closed from Michigan east to Lake Shore Drive
- Congress Parkway will be closed from Michigan to Columbus
- Randolph will remain open
- Streets will reopen as soon as streets are cleaned and public safety issues subside