Chicago rings in 2019 with New Year’s Eve Fireworks along the Chicago River and Lakefront at 12:00 midnight.
Expect riverfront and street closures, increased traffic, CTA reroutes and additional security.
- 7:00 pm: sidewalks will be closed on the west side of Franklin Street bridge, east side of Clark Street bridge and the east side of Wabash Avenue bridge
- 10:00 pm: the Chicago Riverwalk will be closed to pedestrians
- 11:00 pm: expect complete closures of Franklin Street, Clark Street and Wabash Avenue bridges to both vehicular and pedestrian traffic
- 11:00 pm: Wacker Drive will be closed from Lake Street to Stetson Avenue (Firework viewing will not be allowed from the closed street)
- Streets are expected to reopen to vehicular traffic approximately 10 minutes after the fireworks display or when deemed safe to do so
- Sidewalks are expected to reopen to pedestrian traffic at 1:00 am or when safe to do so
- Navy Pier safety restrictions include a wand and bag check of patrons entering the pier and The Youth Escort Program will be in effect, guests under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
Spectators are reminded to report suspicious activity to 9-1-1.
For more information on the city’s New Year’s Eve festivities, click here