A March for Our Lives demonstration will start with a rally at Union Park on March 24, at 11am. Protesters will then march through the neighborhood around the park. The action has been organized in response to the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL, and other high-profile school shootings. Participants will be demanding that Congress pass enhanced gun control legislation.
Participants are planning to march in the area before returning to Union Park, but further details on the route were not immediately available.
Approximately 30,000 people have indicated that they plan to participate in the action. Expect protest-related disruptions in the area.
- If you see something suspicious, report it
- Carry water and stay hydrated
- Choose a landmark to meet at in case you are separated from your group
- Utilize the buddy system
- Remain alert and be observant of surroundings
- Leave any valuables at home
- Do not jump any barricades
- Secure handbags and wallets
- Stay calm and pleasant
- Follow your own instincts
- Leave yourself room to move quickly
- If you see an unattended bag, alert police as quickly as possible
As always, if you “See Something, Say Something”. For life-threatening emergencies, call 911. To report suspicious activity, call 855-RPRT-2-S4 (855-777-8274).
Demonstration Building Security Preparedness Checklist – Click Here
BOMA/Chicago Best Practices Guide for Civil Unrest/Disturbances/Protests – Click Here
Building Security Best Practices for Protests – Click Here