The following is a notice from Hillard Heintze regarding Metra Plans during the NATO summit.
Metra plans to operate regular service on 10 of its 11 lines.
For the Metra Electric Line, most trains will operate, although some stations and the Blue Island branch line will be closed for all or part of the summit. Those closings are detailed below.
Riders of all lines may be subject to screening and baggage checks, with more extensive screening on the Metra Electric Line. Passengers on all lines will be prohibited from carrying many items onboard trains and will face other security restrictions outlined below.
Metra Service on the Electric Line – Because the Metra Electric Line passes under McCormick Place, passengers will be subject to more extensive screening and baggage checks. Riders are advised to arrive at their departing station about 15 minutes prior to departure to allow sufficient time for the boarding process. Metra Electric passengers should also note that some station entrances may be closed.
Plans for service on the Metra Electric Line vary by the day as follows. On all three days, the South Water Street entrance to Millennium will be closed.
Saturday, May 19: Operate normal inbound and outbound service on main line and both branches and make all station stops with the exception of 47th Street (Kenwood), 27th Street, McCormick Place, 18th Street and 11th Street/Museum Campus.
Sunday, May 20: Operate normal inbound and outbound service on main line and South Chicago branch and make all station stops with the exception of 47th Street (Kenwood), 27th Street, McCormick Place, 18th Street and 11th Street/Museum Campus.
Monday, May 21: Inbound trains: Operate all trains (except Blue Island trains) scheduled to arrive downtown until noon, with the following stations closed:
1. On the main line, trains will not stop at 111th Street (Pullman), 107th Street, 103rd Street (Rosemoor), 95th Street (Chicago State University), 91st Street (Chesterfield), 87th Street (Woodruff), 83rd Street (Avalon Park), 79th Street (Chatham), 75th Street (Grand Crossing), 63rd Street, 47th Street (Kenwood), 27th Street, McCormick Place, 18th Street and Museum Campus/11th Street.
2. On the South Chicago branch, trains will not stop at 87th Street, Cheltenham (79th Street), Windsor Park and Bryn Mawr.
3. Trains will not operate on the Blue Island branch.
Inbound main line trains scheduled to arrive at Millennium between 12:57 p.m. and 6:46 p.m. will not operate.
Outbound trains: Operate normal service all day, except at closed stations and on Blue Island branch.
Metra has implemented a wide range of safety measures during the NATO Summit.
1. Riders may be subject to search and/or screening before boarding or while en route.
2. Riders may carry only one bag not exceeding 15 inches square and four inches deep. Boxes, parcels, luggage, backpacks and bicycles will not be allowed on trains. Banned items cannot be stored at Metra stations. They must be removed or they will be disposed of.
3. Riders may not carry any food or liquids on the trains. This includes coffee and other beverages.
4. Riders may not carry any type of tools, pipes, stakes, wood or weapons, including pocket knives and pepper spray, on the trains.
5. Law enforcement personnel must identify themselves and present their credentials and any weapons. Security guards will not be allowed to carry any weapons onboard.