Titan attended the BOMA/Chicago emergency preparedness committee recently and wanted to pass along the following information:
Messages from Public Sector Partners
1st District – Click here for the August Crime Report
- Burglaries have been reported in seasonal food vending structures operating throughout the 1st district.
- The offender in these burglaries has been using force to break windows to gain access into the facilities, where the offender has then committed thefts.
- Crime rate throughout the first district has risen by 23 offenses since last year. Below is the comparison in crime rate for the months of August 2016 and August 2017:
- August 1, 2017-August 31, 2017: 70 Crimes committed
- August 1, 2016-August 31, 2016: 47 Crimes committed
- Click here for the 1st District Burglary Business Alert
- Upcoming Events:
- There is a protest planned to occur at 500 West Madison on September 20, 2017.
- On October 21, 2017 a group plans to form at Millennium Park and march to an undetermined location.
- Chicago Marathon is October 8, 2017
- Bears home game is on October 9, 2017
18th District Click here for the August Crime Report
- Crime rate throughout the 18th district is on decline, as there were 14 less offenses this August in comparison to August of 2016. Below is the difference in offenses committed:
- August 2017: 60 offenses
- August 2016: 74 offenses
- The Fire Safety Director Program now has 1300 new Directors.
- A Safety Warden class is underway and is being developed to certify wardens for events in excess of 300 people.
- CFD has seen an increase in elevator entrapments and rescues.
- Reminder that elevators require annual inspection for code compliance.
Chicago Public Private Task Force (CPPTF)
- The recent meeting of the CPPTF was reported on by Titan’s Director of Emergency Management, Tom Henkey.
- Tom stated that approximately 600 Caribbean refugees from Hurricane Irma were now in Chicago.
- DHS reports that no known imminent terrorism threats were reported.
- DHS does list vehicle ramming, acid throwing, and rail incidents are on their watch list.
Public Agency Contact/Resource List
- This is a list of key resources and public agency contacts being compiled by BOMA.
- This is still being developed and more information will follow.
Best Practice Library
- Originally published in 2010, this online library has received a lot of attention from other local BOMA organizations.
- BOMA is working on updating and expanding it.
- A committee driven table top is planned for the Spring of 2018.
Threat and Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (THIRA)
- The city and council of Chicago, along with BOMA, are implementing new ways to identify key threats and assess their potential local impacts.
- Erin Parks is drafting a survey for BOMA Preparedness.
- Committee members are going to collect data and opinions to gain insight on the rate at which BOMA is meeting the needs of committee members.
TOBY Gold Circle
- Ron provided the criteria and instructions for making a nomination for Security Director of the Year award at the upcoming BOMA event.
- A written and online application is required for review and selection.