Millennium Park is the #1 attraction in the Midwest, and with that distinction comes a lot of safety concerns. As summer approaches the city is rolling out new security measures to keep the park and attendees safe and secure. These procedures will go in to effect on May 19, 2018.
Located within Millennium Park, the Jay Pritzker Pavilion is the city’s premier outdoor music venue, offering more than 80 free concerts, movies and other cultural events throughout the summer.
- A security perimeter will be implemented, along with bag checks, for all concerts and events that take place at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion
- Outside alcohol will be prohibited at the 7 Jay Pritzker Pavilion events with the highest attendance:
- May 26: Chicago House Music Festival
- June 8–10: Chicago Blues Festival
- June 24: Chicago Mariachi Festival
- July 4: Grant Park Music Festival Independence Day Salute
- August 9: Wait, Wait Don’t Tell Me
- August 13: Broadway in Chicago Summer Concert
- August 29–September 2: Chicago Jazz Festival
- Outside alcohol will be allowed at the other 70 public concerts and programs happening in Millennium Park this summer. Visitors will be allowed to bring in their own food and non-alcoholic beverages to all events at Millennium Park’s Jay Pritzker Pavilion, subject to bag search.
This is the second year that alcohol will not be allowed in at Chicago Blues Festival at Millennium Park. Alcohol will also be prohibited at the two Jam production concerts.
Attendees are reminded that if they see something suspicious to say something to on-site security personnel or call 9-1-1. Participants are urged to be familiar with the surrounding area and to heed warnings, if need be.
- If you see something suspicious, report it
- Choose a landmark to meet at in case you are separated from your group
- Utilize the buddy system
- Remain alert and be observant of surroundings
- Leave any valuables at home
- Do not jump any barricades
- Secure handbags and wallets
- Stay calm and pleasant
- Follow your own instincts
- Leave yourself room to move quickly
- If you see an unattended bag, alert police as quickly as possible
For more tips on staying safe in public gatherings see our previous blog post, Security Awareness: Public Gatherings.
You can also visit millenniumpark.org for more information.