The Chicago Police Department is starting a new focus, “Strategic Priorities’ by district. All districts will be asking their communities for input relative to the chronic crime and disorder issues that are of most concern to them.
Titan attended the initial meeting hosted by the First District Leadership and Community Policing Team. This meeting sought input to the strategic plan of various South Loop policing areas. There will be a second meeting on 3/28 to present the results and action plans, click here to view the flyer for the 2nd conversation.
- Commander Pigott discussed 3 main goals
- Homeland Security – increased presence of tactical officers in high crime locations
- Violent Crimes – a major issues has been cell phone robberies, perpetrators use the “flyer scheme” to distract patrons in fast food restaurants
- Quality of Life – panhandling, Bucket Boys and public transportation
- Be aware while running, click here for safe running flyer
- Auto theft, never leave your vehicle running and unattended, click here for flyer
- Personal Safety Tips, click here for flyer
- At home – lock doors and windows, keep porch lights on
- On the street – carry your purse/wallet in a manner that is hard for criminals to grab, stay in well lit areas, walk in groups when possible
- On public transit – sit on the aisle seat so you have more mobility if trouble shall occur
- In your car – lock your doors and store valuables beneath your seat, park in well lit areas
- Remember a crime free city requires that everyone report suspicious activity by calling 911 and report conditions that make crime possible by calling 311
The 1st District encompasses 11 police beats and the areas Downtown south of the Chicago River, the South Loop, Near South Side east of Clark Street down to 31st Street. For more information on the meetings or process, or to provide additional input via email contact the CAPS at CAPS.001District@chicagopolice.org or by phone at 312-745-4381.